What can I recycle?
- Newspaper and junk mail mix, glossy inserts are OK
- Magazines, catalogues, paperback and phone books
- White office paper
- Paper bags
- Cereal boxes, cardboard, corrugated cardboard boxes and boxboard - please flatten
- Plastic bottles #1-7 - such as milk jugs and detergent bottles, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc. Remove caps and lids, rinse well and flatten, labels may be left on.
- Rigid plastics such as plastic buckets, soda crates, plastic pallets, coolers, drums, toys and playhouses, plastic flower pots, laundry baskets, empty garbage cans, plastic pet containers.
- Tin and aluminum cans and lids - remove labels, rinse well, flatten if possible.
- Empty aerosol cans are OK.
- Small metals and aluminum
GLASS (DROP-OFF BINS ONLY)
- Clean, with caps/lids removed
- Separated by clear/color
DO NOT mix glass with curbside pickup. Glass must be dropped off at recycling bin or WWRA facility. LEARN MORE
- Car and Truck Batteries ONLY (no household batteries - see below)
- Used motor oils are accepted onsite at the Werkner Rd. location ONLY, not at bin sites or curbside
Info on Battery Recycling
We receive frequent questions about battery recycling. As noted, we only accept car and truck batteries, but here are some resources for rechargeable and alkaline batteries:
- Rechargeable Batteries: Batteries Plus, Lowe's
- Alkaline: Washtenaw County Toxics (they also take many other items, too)
Holidays come with increased waste, such as disposable cutlery and plates, wrapping paper, cards, and more. Although many of these items aren't recyclable, the lists below define what can and can't be recycled. Please keep in mind we can't recycle everything (as much as we would like to!) and try to reduce the use of single use items and reuse what you already have.
- Wrapping paper (not the plasticy/shiny kind)
- Boxes (packing materials removed)
- Gift bags (not the glittery/plasticy/shiny kind or with any decorations)
- Cards and envelopes (not the glittery/plasticy/shiny kind or with any electronics, metals, or decorations)
- Clean and dry disposable aluminum cooking pans
Here's a list of items we CANNOT recycle:
- Christmas lights
- Christmas ornaments
- Christmas Trees
- Plastic and paper plates along with the plastic utensils
- Plastic tablecloths
- Bubble wrap, packing peanuts
- Blow up lawn decorations
- Anything with food debris still on it
- Plasticy/shiny wrapping paper
- Ribbons and Bows
Download and print our WWRA Recycling Information PDF
- NO glass mirrors, window glass, light bulbs, etc.
- NO motor oil containers
- NO plates, china, ceramics
- NO tires
- NO paints
- NO styrofoam of any kind
- NO bubble wrap
- NO computers, monitors, keyboards and printers
- NO NCR paper
- NO visqueen
- NO pool covers
- NO plastic tarps
- NO plastic bags
- NO household batteries
- NO propane tanks of any kind
- NO construction waste
- NO glass candle holders
- NO plastic straws
Click here for information on where you can recycle items that we do not accept.
Leaving these items and any trash in the bins or at the sites is considered ILLEGAL DUMPING and may be subject to a $1,000 fine.
We recommend that you recycle your styrofoam in Jackson: Click here for more information.
Washtenaw County Clean-Up days are also available for styrofoam on select dates. Click here to check our news feed for County Clean-Up days.